Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Stargate: the Ark of Truth

Since this is a blog on creativity, let me take a moment to applaud some creativity at its finest. I normally present my own material here, but allow me this time to give a quick review of somebody else's work, something very worthy.

I've been a fan of the Stargate franchise since the first movie, so of course I wanted to see Ark of Truth. I thought I could wait for the price to come down, but for some reason I picked it up the moment I saw it, figuring it would be some good fun. What I got was a big surprise, and a reminder of just why Stargate has lasted so long, and continues with Stargate: Atlantis.

If you are a Stargate fan, do not hesitate to buy this movie. It's fantastic, and wraps up several storyines from the SG-1 TV show quite nicely. There is a lot of action, some good laughs, and the characters are shown at their best. On top of all this, the movie has the look and feel of a big screen movie, with high production values that stand out, and add to the excitement of the action. Knowing that another movie is in the works, I was afraid that this would end with a big "To be continued...". If that had happened, I would have thrown the dvd out the window. Rest assured, though, that the Ori storyline is wrapped up completely, nicely, and satisfactorily. There is also a second very exciting storyline that runs through this movie, but I do not wish to spoil that for you. It was a nice surprise, though, and led to some totally "wow!" moments. Really, really cool stuff!

If you are not a Stargate fan, I cannot be objective enough to say whether you will enjoy this movie as much as I did. With a series that ran something like 10 years, the characters are vital to the action of the movie. I will applaud the makers of this dvd for giving viewers the choice of watching the movie with a prelude. This is a brilliant decision, although even I felt the prelude only touched on what came before. Perhaps it is enough to catch a non-fan up to speed, and one hopes so.

Stargate: the Ark of Truth has a lot to offer, and is top notch SciFi. After seeing this, I cannot wait for the next movie, and hoep for many more.

As an Artist, I wish I could be involved in a series such as this! Creative, exciting, and very cool. I'm, like, totally envious of the artists who get to put together the scenes and sets, and shall work even harder to become worthy. :0)

Cheers, JOHN :0)

No comments: