Thursday, January 20, 2011

Getting it done.


It's a new year, and that busy Holiday season is over, and it's time to get back into the action.
I'm not one for New Year's resolutions, because frankly, to succeed in anything, you have to have resolve each and every day... which is not always easy.  So with that in mind, I am tackling my to-do list, and finishing things that need to get done!

First off, I've been wanting to submit a comic strip to the Syndicates again, so am finishing that package of Knight and Day material.  I know times a ticking, but to submit anything to anyone, you should always submit your best, which means doing a lot of work and choosing the cream.
I'm also trying to finish a model boat I started last year, and doing some painting again.  I'm not done the painting yet, but will post that here when I'm happy with it.  I started it quite some time ago, as a gift for a friend, and it got put aside, and put aside.... well, too long.  Painting takes time, but is different enough from Cartooning that different energies are involved, so perhaps I can do both concurrently.

Of course, that also means paint brushes to wash, as well as pens to maintain, and other tools.  Which brings me to another resolution:  Keep the studio clean!


I've probably mentioned this before, but if you want to be a professional Artist of any sort, you need a dedicated work space.  Sitting on your bed with a sketchbook is great, but having a drawing table, or an easel, or a desk of any sort is essential.  A place with only your most necessary tools arranged within reach, and a place that is clean.  I think one of the best tools ANY Cartoonist can have is a box of baby wipes.  Seriously!  One cartoon can leave such a mess of pencil dust on the table, and ink on my triangles, and if I don't clean every day, then smudges appear on my drawings that don't go away easily, and which scan quite messily.



Please note that the spot on which I work is very clean. :0)


So, here are a few brand new Knight and Day's for your enjoyment.  Let me know what you think, huh?

Cheers,    JOHN :0)

PS On my iPod?  Aimee Mann, Lost in Space, and the soundtrack to an awesome tv show, Defying Gravity

No comments: